Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 16

Along with my Nikon d80, I have 4 lenses that I use. I have a 18-55 which I use most of the time when not doing actual photography, a 55-200mm, a f/2.8 fisheye that cost a pretttyyyy penny, and my absolute favorite, my portrait lens---the cheapest but most worthwhile purchase: Nikkor f/1.8 50mm.

This lens is pretty boss because:
1.) It's tiny!! it's half the size of my 18-55 and easy to cram into my camera bag.
2.) It can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Depending on what your aperture is at, this lens can make your picture sharp as all get out. Or, if at it's biggest aperture, really gives you depth of field.
3.) It was reallly cheap. $100-150? I think. It was in my budget at the time, that's all I know!
4.) I can be doing really bad portraits with my 18-55 and will put this baby on and BAM! suddenly i'm working magic, like in the engagement photo shown below!! Suddenly everything clicks and poses come together, and lighting and oh man. I love this lens!!


That's todays lesson! Invest in one good portrait lens :)

2 comments:

  1. My goal is to get a 50mm lens. I'm so tired of my 18-55mm, and I have a 500 zoom lens. The only time I get to use my zoom lens is when I have my tripod on me. Which is, like, NEVER.

    I'm really impressed with your portraiture, Erin. I wish I wasn't so awkward when it came to directing people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you have NOOOO idea how awkward I am and this shoot was!!! They kind of just did their own thing and I took pictures, a few times I had them position hands or feet but other than that, it was all them! : )

    ReplyDelete